Friday, August 3, 2012

DAY 3: It’s so fluffy I’m gonna DIE!!!!



(Clip from "Despicable Me")

I’ll admit, after yesterday’s rather intense emotional purge, I’m in serious need of a fluffy post. Hell, I’m in need a holiday! So, that’s exactly what I’m going to do.  This weekend, for the first time in a long time, my husband and I are retreating away from the responsibilities of every day life and doing some reconnecting with ourselves and with each other.

Without the kiddo.

Wow. That’s a big step.

In 25 months, I’ve never gone more than 12 hours without my baby beside me.  While he has spent nights with his Mamelie (my mom), these were always when we were home (upstairs) and ready to get him as/if needed.

But this weekend, we’re throwing sanity caution to the wind, and we’re doing something we’ve been terrified of putting off doing for two years…

We are trusting that we are finally ready to acknowledge that our toddler doesn’t “need” us the way he used to.

It’s a bittersweet realization.  He eats grown up food, sleeps in his own bed, builds lego towers taller than his head, picks out his own movies and can climb the entire jungle gym completely unassisted.

Amazingly enough, somewhere amidst the craziness of life, we’ve parented ourselves out of the twenty-four hour a day, seven day a week, never-ending, constantly demanding job of raising a ‘baby’. 

Our son is perfectly able to go without us. He’s not a baby any longer.

And to borrow a phrase from Martha, “it’s a good thing.”

Now, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t kind of freaking out.  I’m prone to doing that. So let’s be honest, I’m not jumping on any planes and making my way to Mexico just yet.

Big boy steps for him sometimes equal baby steps for mom.

So we’re going away….all the way downtown. 

For 48 hours. 

I know. We're wild like that. 

We’ll be staying at the Sutton Place Hotel and doing our best to take in some of the best that Edmonton has to offer.

We’ve booked our reservations at one of our City’s finest local fine-dining establishments, The Blue Pear, will be taking in the City Centre Farmers Market, hitting up Heritage Days and maybe even catching up on some much needed sleep.

And through it all, I will miss my Sammie Bear.

And I will ask myself a million times “I wonder how he’s doing?”, and “How will he be able to go a whole weekend without me?”

And while I’m asking myself these questions, I’ll know deep down inside that what I’m really asking is “how am I doing?” and “how will I ever be able to go without him?”…

Man, Growing up is hard to do. 

Wish me luck. :)



This blog is part of the 2012 Summer Blog Challenge (31 posts in 31 days).  To follow along with my fellow writers, visit their blogs: 
Natasha at Natural Urban Mamas
Meaghan at Magz D Life
Aramelle at One Wheeler's World


1 comment:

  1. Try to have fun!!! If it helps (which I know it may not) but Braeden was 28 months old the first time I left him overnight and it was for 2.5 days. I was happy to be away but missed him like crazy and was so glad to be back home with him when it was over. It was definitely a bittersweet moment to realize that my baby no longer just needs me anymore and I can leave him with grandparents or aunts and uncles and he does just fine.

    ReplyDelete