Sunday, August 26, 2012

Day 26: Quiet.


I’m a homebody. I admit it.  Every time I come home after an extended stay away, I feel an incredible sense of relief.  I love the normalcy that comes with my home. I also love the quiet. 

Every day, more and more, I’m reminded of just how jarring it is to be an introvert in an extrovert’s world.  The social demands we place on ourselves everyday are incredible. In fact, I would venture a guess that most of my friends have at least one social activity per day, a minimum of five days a week.  I think we sometimes forget that everyone- be they extroverted or introverted- needs to recharge when things get too b usy.

Today, Jason and I drove home after an incredibly fun, but altogether overwhelmingly busy camping trip.  Sammie went off and shut himself in his room, by himself, for almost two hours. I think he was trying to make a point.  We took his cue and caught up on a bad movie on the PVR.  After about an hour, Jason looked at me and said: “Man, it’s so nice to be doing nothing.”  He couldn’t have been more right.

Unpacking could wait. Showers could wait. Hell, eating lunch could wait.

What my quiet little family needed was some serious amounts of silence.

And those two hours did more for my soul than an entire weekend worth of partying ever could.


This blog is part of the 2012 Summer Blog Challenge (31 posts in 31 days).  To follow along with my fellow writers, visit their blogs: 

Natasha at Natural Urban Mamas
Meaghan at Magz D Life
Aramelle at One Wheeler's World
Cliff at Peer Pressure Works
Tam at Tam I Am 
Liam at In The Now 
Jessica at 2plus2X2

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand. I get cranky when I am overbooked. Even though it is a "social" event I can't wait to get home, even from a lovely vacation. We are already gone from home the best part of the day for work so quiet home time is precious to us as well.

    ReplyDelete