Monday, August 13, 2012

Day 13: It's been one of those days


I'm tired.
I just got out of a 3 hour board meeting and- while it was a great meeting- it has left me exhausted.

My fatigue goes beyond just my body.  It has permeated my soul and my spirit.

It's just been a 'down' kind of day for me.

I need a get out of jail free card for days like today.

Every so often, we get into those kinds of moods I guess. I could beat myself up over it, but that would probably just make me feel worse. So instead, I'm going to send you all somewhere that was- for me- a bright spot in an otherwise relatively bleh day:

MAKE JEN'S DAY: http://makejensday.com

I can't do justice to the awesomeness of this project, so I'm just going to let it speak for itself:

It all started with a 3 week old baby sleeping on the floor. Jennifer donated her bassinet to the young girls mother and thought there must be a better way to help needy people in her community. 
She asked her friends, family and social media followers to give back to charity for her birthday. Within 4 days, people had done 115 acts of kindness, charity and giving. If we could do that in 4 days, imagine what we could do over a lifetime! 
You can also hear Jen Banks talk about the project here: Jen On TV

I don't know the creator of this website well, but am proud to say that we share enough mutual acquaintances that I get to feel a teensy-weensy bit of her glow in my every day life.

April, over at www.thismomsgotsomethingtosay.com  wrote a killer post on her. I suggest reading it (it's here)

I've been honoured to be asked to do a public act of kindness and to write about the experience.  So far, I've actually engaged in three Make Jen's Day acts, but am too much of a social media noob to remember to take pictures and use the hash tag (#makejensday).  But I've got a little something special cooked up for this particular act. It was something that was once done for me. Not because I needed it. Not because I asked for it.  It was the first truly random, unsolicited act of kindness I had ever experienced. A person "giving" simply to give, without even caring if there was a "need". The need they filled wasn't in my pockets...it was in my soul and in my heart and is forever engrained in my memory.

I want to relive that experience, this time as the giver.

And the thought of this makes me smile.  

And suddenly today doesn't seem like such a bad day after all.

In fact, it's kind of been a beautiful day...hasn't it?

Goodnight y'all. 


This blog is part of the 2012 Summer Blog Challenge (31 posts in 31 days).  To follow along with my fellow writers, visit their blogs: 

Natasha at Natural Urban Mamas
Meaghan at Magz D Life
Aramelle at One Wheeler's World
Cliff at Peer Pressure Works
Tam at Tam I Am 
Liam at In The Now 
Jessica at 2plus2X2 

No comments:

Post a Comment