I like lists. So here's a fun one :)
5 things I learned on Sam's First 2 Days of School
1) It doesn't matter how well prepared you are and how much time you give yourself, you are going to be late for drop off/pick up or both.
2) You should always pour yourself a stiff drink before opening the "communication book".
3) No matter how many 'cool' things you buy your kid for school, they will inevitably covet the other kid's backpack.
4) The extra change of clothes isn't a precaution; it's a necessity. (Yup, epic poo-apocalypse on day 1. Go Sam. My kid will forever be known as "that kid that poo'd"... :p)
5) I am totally going to be "that mom". Oops.
Seriously though, Sam's first two days of school were good. Some minor meltdowns, a couple of tears and some expected transition issues (we don't like to 'share' with other kids), but we are already starting to see some subtle changes and growth (like using the "more" sign).
The staff is awesome and they are buying a trampoline just for my kid. My anxiety has been almost completely alleviated and, even though I miss him like mad, I know in my heart that this is going to be awesome.
Now, step two of my plan: teach Charlie to sleep while Sam's in school so I can FINALLY DO ALL THE CLEANING!!!