Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Thanksgiving Challenge #2: Silly Songs


There are about a hundred and fifty million thousand posts I could write about why I'm thankful for my husband, Jason.  I'm sure I could fill an entire library on this topic alone. But since I've committed myself to keeping my posts to 500 words or less, I'll have to stick to one reason at a time and keep the gushiness short and sweet.

Today, I want to thank my husband for his silly songs.

Anyone who has spent a lot of time with Jason and I knows that we are tad on the sentimental side. We're one of those couples who sincerely mean it when we say "I married my best friend". There is no one on the planet I would rather spend time with than Jason; through good times and through bad, he is my number one "go to" person.

But this morning, I'm feeling especially grateful for my husband. Nothing incredibly out of the ordinary happened, except that we both woke up unusually early and actually got some morning snuggles in before work.  Seeing as I was up already, I figured that I should get some work in before the little man woke up, so I got up, showered and got ready alongside my love.

What made this morning special wasn't the extra hugs. It wasn't even the warm cup of coffee that was brought to my bedside. What made it special was that, for the first time in a long time, we got to sing our silly songs to each other.  These songs used to form part of our everyday morning routine before our schedules changed dramatically. There's a half dozen of them, and we sing them throughout the day. But there was something ridiculously awesome about being able to start my morning off with my husband singing about his "shaking tooshie", and his "fuzzy belly", and our "silly Sammie".

I was reminded that, along with his kindness, his gentleness, his brilliance and his attractiveness, one of the things that most drew me to my husband has always been his humour. I'm so glad that, on the eve of celebrating 7 years together, we've kept a little bit of the 'silly' magic alive.

There's nothing like laughter to keep a marriage together.

*word count: 375

This is post is part of the October Thanksgiving Challenge. I will post a new Thank You blog post every day during the month of October. I encourage you to follow Kevin, the mastermind of this challenge at www.kevinolenick.wordpress.com and fellow blogger Natasha at www.naturalurbanmamas.com. And, if you're up to it, consider doing your own challenge, big or small, to remind yourself to focus on the many blessings in your life.  I've also added a slight 'writing' component to this month's challenge: No posts are to exceed 500 words.  

No comments:

Post a Comment